It is told that in the Cianlong Period of the Cing Dynasty, CHEN, SHIH-CHENG, a resident in Longxi County, Zhangzhou, Fuchien Province, employed tenant farmers to reclaim in Taiwan. In the beginning there were six families living in this place, and so it was named “Lioujiadianjhuang” (the village of six tenant farmer families). Later more and more people settled down here and the residents communicated with the outside more and more frequently. As the pronunciation of “家(Ga)” in Taiwanese is similar to that of “腳(Ka)”, the people outside mistook the name of the place, “六家(Laga)”, as “六腳(Laka)”. As time went by, this mistake was widely accepted and so the place was named “Laka (Lioujiao)”. Besides, the central area of the township, “蒜頭(Suantou)”, was originally named “算頭(Suantou)”, which means a lot of rich families. This mistake has also been accepted now.
Two districts, namely Wannei and Lioujiao, were set before October 1920, and the offices of the two districts were located in Wannei Tribe and Lioujiao Tribe, subordinated to Puzihjiao Precinct, Chiayi County, Tainan Eparchy. In the reform of local administrative system launched on October 1, 1920, districts were replaced by townships, and Wannei and Lioujiao Districts were merged into Lioujiao Township, the office of which was set in Puzih Town, Dongshan, Tainan County. The office was moved to Suantou on August 9, 1921, and was still called Lioujiao Township Office. After Taiwan was recovered on October 25, 1945, Lioujiao Township Office was established on January 18, 1946, subordinated to Dongshan District, Tainan County. When the administrative regions of the entire Taiwan were adjusted on October 25, 1950, the township was made subordinated to Chiayi County.
Ombudsmen WANG, CHUEH-JUNG visited the township on September 7, 1983. He re-explained the name of the township and endowed it with a new connotation: Lioujiao (six feet) means the six feet of three persons; as a Chinese essay says, “when there are three men walking together, there must be something I can learn”. With the hidden meaning of the wisdom of the mass, mutual respect, solidarity and harmony, “Lioujiao” is so good a name that should be regarded as a gift from the God.
The exploitation of the township was started in the early period of the history of Taiwan. Among the ten villages built by YEN, CHEN and other exploiters in 1612, the tenth was named Tushihzih and is now Tushih Village. In the early Cianlong Period, Tushihzihbei was reclaimed here and the water of Puzih River was introduced to irrigate the farmlands nearby. All these historic records show that the township has been exploited early.
“Sucuoliaojhuang” (now Sucuo Village) was the settlement of the exploiters with family name SU, and “Sansingliaojhuang” (now Sanyi Village) was the land jointly reclaimed by the exploiters with family names HUANG, CHEN and WU. Besides, the other tribes, such as “Linneijhuang” (now Gulin Village), “Jhuzihjiao” (now Jhuben Village), “Lunzihcuo” (now Lunyang Village), “Tanzihci” (now Tanci Village and Jhengyi Village), “Sicicuo” (now Sicuo Village), “Houbenshan” (now Bengshan Village), and “Yuliao” (now Yuliao Village), all were named by the ancestors according to the landscape or terrain when they reclaimed in the places.